Romsey Abbey (interior)
The wording on the plaque at the bottom of the picture reads:
Sacred to the memory of Mary Fifield The wife of Job Fifield of Standbridge
who died 14 August 1839 aged 64 years
Job Fifield who died 5 April 1840 aged 73 years
and Job Fifield the younger son of the above who died 7 November 1858 aged 51 years
The Inscription at the bottom of the window reads:
In remembrance of Edward Lyon Berthon Born 20 February 1813 Died 23 October 1899
for 32 years vicar of this parish this window is dedicated by parishioners and friends
Picture of kneeling priest painted on a wooden panel in the retrochoir
The figure is a cleric from his tonsure and he wears a dark grey amice or cloak.
His hands are upraised in prayer and touch a scroll with the words in Latin,
Jesu, son of God, have mercy on me.
The background is a rich red curtain and contains petalled flowers and wolves’ heads.
The date of the painting is considered to be the late 15th century.
The painting was once of good quality, but now is in a poor condition.
It was once part of a much larger scene.
The kneeling cleric could be a Thomas Wolsey Canonicus
who was ordained deacon in Romsey Abbey in 1480.
If you are interested in the kneeling cleric more information can be found in the book,
Romsey Abbey through the centuries by Judy Walker
available from the Abbey or from the Visitor Centre.
John Kent Memorial (St Nicholas Chapel)
This memorial has been placed by his friends in honour of John Kent Esquire,
at one time silk thrower of the city of London,
later twice mayor of this town,
and in recent times Sheriff of the County of Southampton;
a man particularly distinguished and remarkable for his singular piety towards God,
goodwill and love towards his friends,
justice and humanity towards others and generosity towards the poor
(both during his lifetime and after his death).
He died on 2nd November 1692 AD at the age of 70.
Together with him rests his wife Judith, greatly loved greatly loving,
who departed this life 15th November 1674 at the age of 63.
To both of these, in gratitude and piety, this memorial has been set up by
Thomas Shory, John Butler and Thomas Butler,
who are deeply indebted on many counts to the aforesaid John Kent,
and trustees of his last will and testament.
Recumbent Purbeck marble effigy in south transept (St Nicholas Chapel)
This fine effigy of an elegant lady dates from C 1300.
The recumbent figure, with a canopy over her head,
is cut from a single block of Purbeck marble.
It was upside down in the floor for centuries which saved it from destruction
and after being found in the early 1700’s
was placed in this recess below a handsome ogee arch.
The identity of the lady is not known.
If you would like more information about this marble effigy,
the book, Romsey Abbey through the centuries by Judy Walker
can be purchased from the Abbey or from the Visitor Centre.
WMV file for above video