Romsey Abbey (interior)
The picture shown below is the inscription on the font
WMV file for above video
The J W Walker Organs
We are very fortunate to be accompanied in our worship by a remarkable instrument
built by Walker and Sons in 1858.
Our relationship with walkers founded in London but now located in Suffolk,
continues to the present day because their tuners still pay regular visits to Romsey
to maintain the organ. Major restoration work was carried out in 1995/1996,
restoring the old mechanical actions and overhauling much of the pipework to its former glory.
1998 saw the construction of a completely new organ in addition to the 1858 original.
Its pipework is located on the south triforium, a gallery that runs the length of the Nave
from the west end to the crossing.
This can be played either from a mobile console in the Nave or from the main console in the Choir.
If you are interested in the Romsey organs, the book The Walker Organs of Romsey Abbey
by Jeffrey Williams can be purchased through the Abbey website
or from the Visitor Centre in Church Street which is near the Abbey.
Shown below is the Nave organ
Carved Stone Heads
On the west window sill of the north transept, shown in the two pictures below,
are preserved the corbel heads of a king and a bishop. The king is thought to be Henry III.